Who is the “you” and “we” in this policy?
The “we” (and “us”) is Secure Decisions, a division of Applied Visions, Inc. – the company that owns and operates the Kompar service. You’ll see in this policy that we contract with other companies and individuals to operate various aspects of Kompar.
What do we mean by “personal information?”
“Personal information” means information that identifies you. Examples include your name, email address, and telephone number.
Any information that falls outside of this is “non-personal information”.
If we store your personal information with information that is non-personal, we will consider the combination as personal information. If we remove all personal information from a set of data then the remaining is non-personal information.
How do we learn information about you?
We learn information about you when:
- You give it to us directly (e.g., when you fill in a feedback form);
- We collect it automatically through our products and services (e.g., when you browse and interact with Kompar web pages);
- Someone else provides us with information about you (e.g., firms we contract with use your IP address and other information to figure out what company you probably work for).
What is our legal basis for collecting information?
We lawfully collect and process personal information with the legitimate interest of providing an economically valuable service without a subscription nor access fee.
One of the motivations for collecting and processing personal information is in service of generating revenue to cover the cost of creating and operating an otherwise free service. Kompar provides economic value to you by aggregating and organizing information about the many different software testing solutions available on the market. Without such a source of aggregation, it would be difficult and time consuming to learn about market-available software testing solutions and the strengths and weaknesses of each.
What information do we collect and how is it used?
We collect and process standard web server access log information about how and when you use Kompar. This information includes date, time, session ID, IP address, request URL, search terms, web browser user agent details, and referring web address.
We collect and process information about you and the company or organization at which you work. The specific information that we obtain is determined by the services that we use to operate Kompar and may include your name, email address, job title, gender, and contact information, as well as your company’s name, address, website, and telephone number. This information is valuable to third parties (e.g., vendors of code quality and security solutions), who don’t always know who is currently interested in adopting new solutions. We sell, barter, and trade information about potential customers to these vendors to generate revenue that helps us cover the cost of creating and operating an otherwise free service.
We use personal and non-personal information to:
- Provide you with information and content that satisfies your needs.
- Monitor and respond to Kompar system performance problems and malfunctions.
- Improve Kompar to better serve you and others.
- Respond to requests for information, support, and complaints.
- Market and promote Kompar to others.
- Identify the company or organization at which you work.
- Sell, barter, or trade with third parties.
- Process your transactions.
- Protect the rights and safety of ourselves, our affiliated entities, and third parties.
- Handle disputes and legal proceedings of any kind.
- Respond to lawful requests, for example, to respond to a court order, subpoena, or law enforcement agency’s request.
Our third-party service providers and partners also collect personal information during the course of providing us with contracted services. More details are available on the respective website of each provider, but collected information may include web server access log information, cookie data, and your device’s model, operating system, browser type, unique device identifier, mobile phone number, mobile network carrier, location, and installed fonts.
There are five types of third-party services that we contract with:
- Cloud hosting providers. We run Kompar with hardware and software provided by Microsoft Azure. You can read the Microsoft Privacy Statement at https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/PrivacyStatement and their General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance policies at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/trustcenter/privacy/gdpr/gdpr-overview.
- Site usage analytics providers. We track site usage using third party services, including Google Analytics. Google Analytics has their own privacy information in Section 7 of their Terms of Service https://www.google.com/analytics/terms/us.html. Users may opt out of Google Analytics by visiting the Google Analytics Opt-out Page at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
- Firmographics providers. We assemble lead and customer intelligence data using firms that specialize in turning website log data into information that we can sell, barter, or trade with other entities.
- Financial institutions. If you purchase goods or services from Secure Decisions, we will typically need to collect and process financial data required to facilitate payments. Such information will be used to facilitate payments for the agreed-upon transaction.
Do you sell my personal information?
Yes, we reserve the right to sell, barter, or trade personal and non-personal information. For example, we sell information about which tools and capabilities Kompar users are interested in to vendors of code quality and security solutions. Selling this type of information allows us to fund the ongoing development and maintenance costs of what is an otherwise free service.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies. You can set your browser to not allow cookies to be set and you can also delete existing cookies from your browser. However, you may find that some parts of the Kompar will not function properly if you have refused cookies or similar tracking technologies and you should be aware that disabling cookies or similar tracking technologies might prevent you from accessing some of our content. To learn how to block cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org/ and/or check your web browser’s documentation.
Cookies are used to:
- Understand and save user’s preferences
- Compile information about site traffic and site interactions in order to offer better site experiences and capabilities in the future.
- Enable third-party services to track information on our behalf.
How long do you retain data?
We currently retain all information indefinitely.
How do I exercise my GDPR rights?
Where do you operate?
Our production servers and offices are located in the United States. Therefore, your information will be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States. By using Kompar, you understand and consent to this collection, storage, and processing of your information to our servers in the United States.
We may need to change this policy and our notices. The updates will be posted online. Your continued use of the product or service after the effective date of such changes constitutes your acceptance of such changes. To make your review more convenient, we will post an effective date at the top of the policy and maintain a summary of changes here:
2019-03-11: Stopped use of SurveyMonkey.
Your California Privacy Rights: Notice to California residents
California’s “Shine the Light” law, Civil Code section 1798.83, requires for-profit businesses that have conducted business with any resident of California and have “shared customer personal information with other companies for their direct marketing use within the immediately preceding calendar year” to respond to requests from California customers asking about the businesses’ practices related to disclosing personal information to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. Alternately, such businesses may have in place a policy not to disclose personal information of customers to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes if the customer has exercised an option to opt-out of such information-sharing.
Special note for parents and children
Our commitment to security
We have implemented appropriate technical and organizational security measures designed to protect personal information against accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorized disclosure, unauthorized access, and other unlawful or unauthorized forms of Processing, in accordance with applicable law. Unfortunately, no system is perfect and we cannot guarantee there will not be a breach. In the event of a breach, we will notify you if you’ve provided us with contact information or we have obtained your contact information.
How to contact us
- Email at email@example.com, or
- Postal mail
Secure Decisions, a division of Applied Visions, Inc.
6 Bayview Ave
Northport, NY 11768